Saturday, February 25, 2006

American vs. Brittish Road Rules

Driving in England was pretty freaky at first because you need to learn to drive on the other side of the road. It takes about 2 weeks and then you pretty much get into the groove of it. I also learned that driving in England is so much different (and safer) than driving here in the states. Sometimes I just can't believe the differences. I'm going to bitch about it, well, because I can.




One of the first things I noticed when I returned from England was everyone was talking on their cell phones while driving, I can't get over how many people do this! I guess this is normal for you all - but in England you can only talk on your cell if you are using a hands free device. They basically enforced this so you couldn't take your hand off the wheel to hold your phone and in return the accident ratio decreased. So if your phone rings and you don't have the hands-free, you either dont answer or you have to pull over and then answer it. Which was actually pretty freaky when I first started driving there because you'll be driving along and cars will just pull over wherever so they can answer their cell phone. If you get caught 'talking and driving' you get a big hefty fine of like 1000 quid (about 1800 american dollars when converted). After a while you just learn to accept drivers doing this - you learn to just drive around them, bitch under your breath a bit, and keep moving along. And ya know what? It was a hell of a lot safer than driving here that's for sure! I wonder just how many accidents are caused because an idiot driver was on their cell not paying attention or because they dropped their phone and were fishing around the floor for it... I'm all for England's rule on this one.

Next we have said idiot drivers (more times than not on their CELL) driving in the lefthand lane going slower than the drivers in the right lane. Seems to me driver's ed taught me the left lane is the passing lane and should only be used for these instances. So why are these fuckwits in front of me going 10 miles under the speed limit and just sitting there? Hello!?! Open your eyes - I'm on your ass and I'm waiting for you to get the hell out of my way!! I think I got used to England actually following the road rules on this - (for this remember the opposite sides of the road come into play - the fast lane is the right lane there) = EVERYONE drives in the left lane and only uses the right when passing. If you happened to be in the right lane coming up on someone - they actually will move over to the left lane so that you can pass - WILLINGLY!! This means most of the traffic is constantly switching from lane to lane because you drive along, come up on someone, get over in the right lane to pass them and get right back over. And it works and can be alot of fun in the process :-) So I vote everyone has to go back to driver's ed and be taught the right way to drive!

My last is more of an opinion. I'm all for speed cameras. They use them all over in England and THEY WORK. Speed limits are different in England - they have three limits - 70mph on 2+ lane roads, 60mph on one lane roads and 50mph on back roads. Some villages will have slower posted limits of 30-40mph. The major roads have the cameras and they even have signs posted to warn you that a camera is coming up (for legal reasons I think). It still slows people down, so they still do the job and they don't need cops sitting all over the roads eating donuts waiting to catch someone on their radar so they can make their quota. I was talking to T about this - and he actually brought up a good point which nicks this out. People would probably spray paint the cameras so they wouldn't be any good. Didn't think about that one - the difference in crime is incredible between the two cultures and the Brits just don't do things like that.... but I'll save the crime comparison for another post. This chick is dont bitching and is ready for bed...

4 comments:

:P fuzzbox said...

There is a special place in hell for people that drive to slow in the fast lane.

Jay Noel said...

And that special place is extra super hot. I think the Brits are a little more stealthy when it comes to committing crimes.

Us Americans are pretty blatant about the illegal stuff we do.

Phred said...

I can just see me in Europe...driving on the left side of the road.

One Big wreck.

GrapeApe said...

Fuzz: Everytime Im behind pokies now ya got me screamin and laugh in at the fools "You goin to hell shithead!"

Phoenix: Good point!

Laurie: Thats awful! They dont even have to go wireless with the tooth they can just do the cheapies!

Phred: Take me and I'll be your driver! :-)